Drinking coffee is a way of life. Whether we brew our own coffee at home or stop by at the local coffee shop for the best espresso coffee, our day doesn’t end without at least a few cups of this great drink. In fact, for most of us, our day doesn’t start without a cup of our favorite coffee. The health benefits are an added reason to drink this great beverage.
The good news is you’re not the only one who drinks coffee. let’s look at some interesting statistics that shows how many other people share this coffee drinking habit with you.
- Gourmet coffee sales is increasing by 20% each year.
- The average growth of coffee consumption around the world has hovered around 1.3% worldwide since 2012/13. This is good news for coffee lovers, as this growth means lesser prices and more coffee choices.
- U.S coffee market alone is worth $18 billion.
- Average coffee consumption in the United States is 3.1 cups per day
- The highest per capita coffee consumption is in Finland. They consume about 12 kg of coffee per person every year.
- Independent coffee shops near you account for 31% of total sales while the rest is pre-brewed coffee.
- 35% of coffee drinkers prefer black coffee while 65% like to add milk, cream and sugar.
- The UK ranks 45th in coffee consumption while U.S ranks 26th.
- Brazil is the world’s largest exporter of coffee. It has been the largest exporter for at least the last 150 years. It exports a whopping 5.7 billion pounds each year.
- The second largest exporter of coffee is Vietnam followed by Colombia, Indonesia and Ethiopia.
- We consume about 145 million bags of coffee a year. Out of this, 71.93 million bags are Arabica while 40.46 million is Robusta. The rest is shared by organic coffee, gourmet coffee and specialty coffee that is grown in small regions in tropical countries like Salvador and India.
- The top 10 coffee consuming countries are:
Does this give you enough reason to drink coffee? So, the next time you head to the best coffee shop in Pasadena for your favorite cup of coffee, think about the billions of people who share this passion with you.